Tuesday, November 2, 2010

STEP UP STEP UP….. ALL THE WAY! :D

Firstly, I would like to start off by saying that I am very grateful to have Awesome Guo Chen, IT Savvy Wy How and inspiring TEAM leader, Xiaoshi as my group mates. Life has never been better with you guys :D

I would like to touch on the thinking and execution process to our oral presentation.

Preparation

To prepare for the Oral Presentation, we actually conducted our meetings mainly in the seminar room located in the NUS Science/ Medical Library. The place was huge and conducive for discussions. We also extended our discussions beyond the seminar rooms in Science Library to places like the Statistics Computer Laboratory and seminar room in the Faculty of Engineering for our last two meetings in preparation for the Oral Presentation. (How we got access to these rooms shall remain confidential. :X)

Use of slide ware and audiovisuals
We also adopted a different mode of presentation tool, Prenzi which actually greatly enhance visual aspects to our presentation instead of the monotonous PowerPoint slide presentation. For our presentation, we actually adopted sequential presentation bubble where it is linked by arrows to show to the flow of presentation. Each presentation bubble covers different aspects of the presentation ranging from interviews to benefits and challenges. In a way, it is more organized and impressive. The idea of having interviews filmed also played a huge part in making the overall presentation more engaging.

Delivery

In terms of delivery, our presentation started off with an unforeseen technical glitch associated with the sound. Due to our misjudgment of the audio systems in the laptop, the front interviews with the student  was not well heard by many and that actually affected the emotions of some of our presenters at the beginning who were all geared up to give a wonderful presentation.

For my part, I think I could have done a better job in presenting although my part was mainly just presenting data and analyzing the results in a news reporter style. The tone used could be more professional like covering data for stock markets. In my opinion, I felt that the idea of presenting the information to the committee to sell our idea in news fashion was highly relevant and refreshing. Having information reported in news style requires high professionalism as seen on television. In addition, viewers would be able to obtain the concise and direct information instead of having an overload of information. Since we have adopted a news report style to present our information, sentences had to be kept short but straight to the point. Hence, the length of presentation for each presenter will be short too.

Lastly, I would like to give a personal note to my group mates:

Though our presentation was not smooth on the day itself, I believed that ‘our unique and fresh concept far outweigh any undesirable factors’ as quoted from my SMS to my groupmates. It is sure a long journey since we started off with our project proposal on skywalks and underground tunnels to this awesome presentation we have, seeing everyone dressed formally. I still could remember the time where we jokingly said that if our proposal on skywalk and underground tunnel was accepted by NUS and that the idea was patented by us, we would become famous overnight and just quit school. :D

The times shared during the meetings that invoked joy and laughter was beyond description. If I hope to be in this awesome team and retain this fabulous name, Team STEP UP if we take any similar modules in future for the memories shared will definitely etch a place in my heart…

  

14 Comments:

Blogger Xi Xi said...

Hi Sylvester,

I enjoyed your OP a lot! Very creative and impressive!

Just one point, when you were standing on stage during Q&A, it would be better to unfold your arms and stand confidently with arms down.
It sent a defensive message to the audience.

Other than that, well done!! All the best!

November 4, 2010 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi XiXi,

When I saw the video, I was totally taken aback by my actions. Thanks for the generous reminder. This taught me a valuable lesson: to stand firm and confidently.

Thanks a lot. :D

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger xiaoshi said...

Hi SLY!

For some strange reasons, I miss going back to school during weekends. I.AM.NOT.KIDDING.

Anyways, I'd like to extend my apologies to you. You were probably affected by me forgetting my lines thus added to your nervousness. I wanted to start the entire presentation with a BANG but it backfired )':

No point crying over spilled milk, I am glad that all of us had put in 101% in coming up with the proposal and preparing for our oral presentation. Especially you sylvester, you turned up for all the meetings dutifully despite having so many tests! You have very good time management.

Having said that, let's move on from where we are now and work hard towards our final exam! Thank you for being such an awesome group member, you deserve a sweet from me!

November 6, 2010 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger alvin then said...

Hi Sylvester!

Good job on your presentation. I like your PINK tie. PINK!

You projected your voice loud and confidently. Might be a little shaky in the beginning, due to your nervouness. But it started to smoothen out as you go along. However, I noticed you had a script with you. It might be better, at this stage, to deal away with it completely, for reasons we all should know by now! :)

Thanks Syl. Mug hard for the upcoming exams!

Alvin

November 9, 2010 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Alvin,

Actually, I hid the script inside my pocket. Oh well, I think not many really saw me hiding that slip of paper. Anyway, thanks a lot.

Let's mug hard for the DREADED CHEMISTRY MODULES..!

Sylvester

November 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM  
Blogger Billto said...

Hi Sylvester,

You improved a lot from the presentation in peer teaching. It was a good experience working with you then. I could see that in this presentation you are more prepared than previously. Well done! In addition, I like your laptop backs. It makes presentation interesting. However, Xiao Shi makes it a little obvious that she forgot her lines. Shouldn't be that way. Eye contacts are not there yet. Another thing is your survey findings should be a summary. Giving the whole survey finding will bore the audience and we cannot catch any number. Lastly, when your friends present, you should sit at the side. Sitting at the middle can be distracting.

Nevertheless, I like the idea of the news broadcast, but not sure it is appropriate for the setting. Nevertheless, as a news broadcaster, you really stepped up in term of speech and dressing. Good job.

Cheers,
Billet

November 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,Sylvester

First of all,it is great to work with you!! Thank you for your contribution to the team! You are so responsible that you never refuse or show some unwillingness to come back to school both on Sat and Sun given that you have so many tests to deal with. I think you are a good team player that are open to others' opinions. It is pleasant to have you in the team.

As for your presentation, I think to report the survey results in terms of news broadcast itself is quite challenging. After all, we do not have any training or prior experience of a news broadcast. What is more, the news broadcast requires very high level of presentation skill. I think you are brave to accept this idea and try your best to do it.

November 13, 2010 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Xiaoshi,

Thank you for the compliment. I would like to reiterate that it has been a pleasure working under you. Despite the rough start to our presentation, we still managed to pull it through and I feel our efforts are justified.

Lastly, let's work hard for the finals.. HWAITING (KOREAN: FIGHTING):D

Cheers,
Sylvester

November 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Billet,

Thanks for the insightful comments. I would definitely remember what you have taught me and apply in my future presentations if ever there is a opportunity given to me. Once again, nice meeting you. :D

Cheers,
Sylvester

November 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Guo Chen,

Thanks for the compliment. Maybe someday, I will receive some formal training to be a news presenter. We can actually suggest this idea to the CELC department to further make this course interesting and appealing to students. :D :D.. Once again, nice working with you and wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Cheers,
Sylvester

November 14, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger $W?h0w$ said...

Hi Sylvester,

Like Guo Chen, I would also commend you on being a great team player. Balancing this module's workload and your tests were gruelling tasks. Thanks for your sms after the presentation. I felt that our proposal stood out in terms of vision. It was an honour having you as a groupmate for this project. Hope we can collaborate again in the future.

$W?h0w$

November 14, 2010 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Wy How,

Thanks for the compliment. Juggling both tests and the module's workload was really tough but it was worthwhile considering that I have such excellent teammate by my side. All of a sudden, all the worries disappeared and my heart and soul is put into the completion of this project. THAT is what I defined as HAPPINESS.. Doing something with good friends that are things that makes one HAPPY..

All the best in your future endeavors.. :D

Cheers,
Sylvester

November 16, 2010 at 12:59 AM  
Blogger Elgin said...

Nice touch to a presentation. As I have commented in class, maybe not too appropriate for the target audience, but other than that, it's really creative. Maybe as you were too focus on the "broadcasting", you didn't have much opportunity for eye contact. (of course stop folding your arms during Q&A). Haha.. but you sure spoke with greater confidence this time. Good job man! study hard for exams! See you around

November 16, 2010 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger Sylvester Lee said...

Hi Elgin,

Thanks for the insightful comments. I really appreciated that.. :D

For the folding of arms, I agree to that.. :( It think it must have been a habit of mine to always fold my arms when I am standing still. I ought to change that bad habit of mine to prevent such awkward and unpleasant side of me from surfacing.. :/

Thanks once again. All the best for your exams..

Cheers,
Sylvester

November 16, 2010 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home